The Wylie swim team had a strong showing at its district meet with 13 swimmers advancing to regionals in 15 different events.
On the boys’ side Connor Ellis, Austin Tucek, Declan Sauley, Justin Calamlam, Isaiah Narvaez, Justin Larum and JC Beeson all qualified for regionals. On the girls’ side, Lily Saterbak, Alaynah Johnson, Preslee Woods, Calie Jo Woods, Allie Clark and Brandi Wipff all qualified.
Many of the students qualified in multiple events.
Here’s a look at the students who qualified and how they did at regionals.
* 400-yard freestyle relay (Connor Ellis, Declan Sauley, Austin Tucek and Justin Calamlam) 3rd at district and 6th at regionals.
* 200-yard medley relay (Connor, Austin, Justin and Isaiah Narvaez) 7th at regionals. The team of Austin, Justin, Isaiah and Justin Larum was 4th at district.
* 100-yard breaststroke – Austin Tucek, 8th at regionals and 2nd at district.
* 200 freestyle relay (JC Beeson, Isaiah, Declan and Justin Larum) 4th at district.
* 200 freestyle – Connor Ellis, 2nd at district
* 100 backstroke – Connor Ellis, 3rd at district.
* 200 IM – Isaiah Narvaez, 3rd at district.
* 100 freestyle – Justin Calamlam, 4th at district
* 100 breast – Justin Calamlam, 4th at district
* 1 meter dive – Lily Saterbak, 6th at regionals and 2nd at district.
* 200-medley relay (Preslee Woods, Calie Jo Woods, Allie Clark and Alaynah Johnson) 4th at district.
* 400 freestyle relay (Brandi Wipff, Calie Jo, Preslee and Alaynah) 4th at district.
* 50 freestyle – Alayna Johnson, 4th at district.
* 100 freestyle – Alayna Johnson, 6th at district.
* 100 backstroke – Preslee Woods, 4th at district.
Both the boys’ and girls’ teams finished higher in the district rankings than rival Cooper High School. The Wylie swim team was not affected by Wylie’s move to 5A because the team had already been competing in 5A. Not enough schools in 4A have swim programs.